Friday, September 7, 2007

RIP Madeline L'Engle

Madeline L'Engle, author of A Wrinkle In Time, has passed away at the age of 88.

Honestly, I'm very sad- we talked about her in my creative writing class just two days ago, actually, so somehow it seems very fresh. Further, A Wrinkle In Time was my complete, utter favorite book in 5th grade (until I read The Golden Compass in 6th), and I am sure millions of other schoolchildren like me loved it because we spent a lot of time wondering about 5th dimensions, the tesseract, and the importance of the indavidual. For this, I will forgive her for the sleepless night I spent during my first read-through of the book because I kept having nightmares about the giant, totalitarian IT. Here's a scary thought for you that I could never get over: you realize that IT never "dies" or anything, and is still somewhere out there in the L'Engle universe? Scary.

Unfortunately, I tried reading her other books, but with the exception of Many Waters I just never could get into them. A Wrinkle In Time was a complete gem though, so for that I salute her.

0 comments: