Thursday, June 19, 2008

Crazy Times down on Costello Music

Last night I decided that for better or worse I will never, ever be able to utter bad things about San Francisco. Why? Because within the past few days it has dawned on me that famous bands actually come to San Francisco at concerts one can actually go to. Specifically, I discovered by chance this past weekend that The Fratellis- a band I've mentioned here more than once- were going to be in town Wednesday (yesterday). In what was even more exciting, I found myself with a reasonably priced ticket to a sold-out concert surprisingly easily, so I got to go to their concert last night!

The concert was at The Fillmore which it turns out, in that way I end up in interesting places without realizing it beforehand, is a pretty famous concert venue. Back in the 1960s it was the focal point for the music side of counterculture- aka hippies- and everyone has played here. (Speaking of which, remember the hippie VW Bus in the movie Cars called Fillmore? I now know where his name comes from!) There are posters all over the walls of the bar areas and it's hard to think of a band name I didn't see from the past few decades I didn't see, from Jimi Hendrix and The Who to Matchbox 20 and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Here's an image off their site to give you an idea-
The Fratellis, of course, had their own poster for the night, and further it is tradition at The Fillmore everyone got one while leaving the venue (thus undoubtedly the primary decor in several Bay Area dorm rooms). Bit of a weird one though-
But anyway, the concert! It was absolutely fabulous of course- they just came out with a new CD this past week so lots of new tunes, but they had the sense to play their old hits as well so everyone was happy (they also have one of the most intense drummers I've ever heard- huge drum set, and his shirt was drenched through after just a few songs). Further, The Fratellis have music that has quite a bit of energy in it, meaning it's very, very easy to dance to, and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who wasn't doing just that. I even did a few turns with a colorful San Franciscan or two, on the grounds that it's more fun that way and who knows when I'll have the chance to do it again, and it definitely ranked high up there in terms of concerts I've been to.
(Picture from The Fratellis website, as I didn't take my camera.)

I'd describe more, but suspect concerts are primarily exciting to go to and not to read about. Honestly, I suppose this post is an elaborate way of me saying I am quite enamored with San Francisco's music scene right now. After all, there are only so many cities in the world where you can show up one week and discover one of your favorite bands is playing there the next, and San Franciscans definitely have had enough experience in how to do good concerts. Must investigate this further...

0 comments: