Saturday, March 3, 2007

RIP Foxtrot

Ok, perhaps I'm dense. Perhaps being severed from my free daily newspapers back at Case made me not realize this fact, and perhaps being in a country where no one has any idea what Foxtrot is counts as some sort of defense.

But still, I just learned about this and feel like I should have been informed earlier. Why did none of you bother to tell me that Foxtrot has ceased daily publication? Apparently it's only been running Sundays as of late and will continue to do so in the future, and I did not realize this until right now because I have a habit of only reading anthologies (Foxtrot, in particular, always was best read this way). And since I suppose I might not be the only one who was not informed of this until now, it will get a mention here.

For those of you who don't know by the way, the creator of Foxtrot is Bill Amend, and he's a kind of hero for those of us who have a bit of creative license when it comes to physics. This is because, gasp!, the man has a physics degree from Amherst which, in a phrase I've borrowed a lot myself, "makes him sound a lot smarter than he really is." This is why Jason was forever going on about incredibly geeky things like liquid nitrogen and Linux in the strip, and why Peter was running into trouble in his physics classes.

So in honor of Foxtrot, I've dug out a few of my more recent comics and will let you guys see them in hopes that you'll laugh (in a good way). I don't know why I'm doing this honestly because I heavily doubt comic strip writing is in my future: I can't draw to save my life, and tend to make people groan instead of laugh with my puns. But we've all got to start somewhere, and the first one of these will help me gauge how well it's going...




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know about Foxtrot, either. It is not as earth-shattering as losing Calvin and Hobbes or The Far Side, but sad nonetheless. I haven't picked up a newspaper in years, so I had only been occasionally going through the Foxtrot archives online. I think they pulled them offline or made you register or something stupid like that anyhow. Maybe we'll see some of them return as a webcomic. That's where I get most of my "funnies" these days.

-Don

P.S. I think someone already stole your catooning M.O.:

Anonymous said...

I think I broke something. I tried to "a-href" the link to that comic page, and now it is all wonky. Here's a plain-text copy:

http://indexed.blogspot.com/

Sorry if I messed something up.

-Don

Anonymous said...

maybe I forgot to close the link?

Yvette said...

Not sure, but I like that site. :) Wonder if she thought up the idea while listening to a professor who claimed "you can show everything in a graph" too...

ross said...

Wow... that was a very tortured set of posts. Nice work Don.

Anonymous said...

I didn't break it as much as I had hoped. Yvette "fixed" it by replying. Somehow that closed the loop. Oh, well.